Sunday, March 20, 2011

What to do with that old camera?

Yesterday I wrote about how to get rid of that old, unused cell phone.  Pidge (The Frugal Travelers) commented, asking about what could be done with old, still working cameras.  The funny thing was that I had thought about writing about places to recycle your old digital camera in that same blog, but decided to keep things simple!


So in honor of Pidge, today's topic is how to recycle that old digital camera.


Even if you camera is slightly worse for the wear or outdated, you might still be able to sell it.  BuyMyElectronics.com will buy it to recycle or sell for parts.  It works similar to GreenPhone.com in that you enter information about your camera and the site gives you a price quote.  It will then send you a prepaid shipping label or box depending on the camera's size and weight.  Payment is by check or PayPal.


If your camera still works and you would rather donate it, go to Classroom-Connection.org for shipping information.  The Global Classroom Connection  sends used cameras to schools around the world.  If you include your email address you will get a picture from the class that receives your camera.


I tried to sell my old Canon PowerShot A80, but BuyMyElectronics.com didn't want it.  And it doesn't work so donating it to the Global Classroom Connection doesn't work either.  I'm still looking for a way to get rid of that one.  Remember, putting old electronics in the trash isn't a good idea.  If anyone has any other ideas on how I can responsibly dispose of my non-working camera, please pass them along!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I think we now have at least 3 old cameras that need a new home, along with one cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a timely post. I bought a new digital camera just yesterday. I liked my old one but somehow I was getting a black smudge on pictures I posted on my blog. I tried cleaning lens to no avail.

    I'm thinking I'll give it to my 4 y/o granddaughter. She'll have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks,Carol. I had thought about giving it to a younger member of the family, but by now they all have their own. Will probably check out the school donation thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our travels we usually run into some young person who can use a good old camera, we just mention it to Moms and Dads we know, soon it finds the right hands!

    ReplyDelete