Friday, July 29, 2011

Change of plans...

Lots of things have happened since I last posted.  I'm not sure why I haven't been better about updates.  The only thing I can figure is that things have been so up in the air I haven't quite known what to say...

We're still in Arkansas for now.  Johnny is no longer working.  While the surgery on his leg was a success, and the place he was working agreed to the restrictions the doctor stipulated when he returned to work, they then ignored the restrictions and he was on his feet and walking way more than the doctor wanted to see.  The excessive walking was causing more damage to the other bones in his right foot.  So the doctor said no more of this job until he can see if the bones in his foot will stabilize.

So that has left us trying to figure out Plan B.  Plan A had been for Johnny to work out this project which would wrap up sometime in 2012 and I would continue the work kamping gig here at Millwood Landing.  That would've allowed us to pay off all the debt except the RV and the house and save the down payment we need to transition to a diesel pusher.

While we haven't worked out all the details of Plan B, we have put some things in motion.  We needed to generate some more income asap, so I sent an email and had a phone interview and next thing we knew I had a job as an "Elf" at's distribution hub in Coffeyville, KS.  I start on September 18th and the plan is to work through December 23rd.  Along with pay, overtime and a completion bonus if you stay through the season, Amazon also pays for your campsite and utilities.  They also say you can walk 10-12 miles a shift, so I'm hoping that along with putting some extra money in the coffers I'll lose 10 lbs or so before the holidays!

I've given notice here and my last day will be August 29th.  It's been a nice gig and I like the people.  It's an interesting business and I've learned a lot of useful things about campground memberships.

Our longer term plan is for me to get back into doing some consulting.  With the flexibility of the RV I think it will be pretty workable.  So I'm putting feelers back out about that.  We're hoping to find a camp host spot in Louisiana for the beginning of 2012 so we can spend a little time with Johnny's kids and the grandkids.

In the meantime, Johnny will be doing the laundry and grocery shopping and taking it a little easier to see if his foot will stabilize and he can get around without being in pain.  If not we will have to look closer at the amputation option.  Better to have 1 foot and be able to walk without pain than 2 feet and not be able to get around without constant pain.

We'll be headed to Austin, TX for the first couple weeks of September and then  off to Kansas for a few months.  Will try to fill in a few other missing pieces in the next few days.


  1. Wow, you have a lot to think about. I'm sending prayers for healing and for things to work out for you guys.

  2. Oh my, things have changed. An "elf" at Amazon? You go girl. I hear lots of RVers do short term job for them. They must be good to work for.

    That is some tough decision on Johnny's foot.

    On a good note - if you find a job in Louisiana in January, make sure we know. We head that way right after the first of the year! We also have a granddaughter and great grandson near Austin.

  3. Sure hope plan B works well for you.

  4. Thanks for the good thoughts Judy and Teri. Much appreciated!

    Will definitely keep you posted Phyllis. Maybe we can connect in either Louisiana or Austin.

    So far I've been impressed with the Amazon folks and we're looking forward to meeting more work kamping RVers.

  5. Good luck with everything, and I hope that Johnny has a quick recovery!