Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Working on Plan B... or is it C or D?

Just a quick update.  We left Arkansas after making a day trip to Hot Springs area.  I started a blog about that, but need to finish adding pictures, so it sits waiting...

We headed down here to Austin, TX a week ago today.  We made it a 2 day drive by stopping in Tyler.  We're attempting to learn to travel more slowly...LOL

Wednesday afternoon we pulled into Bastrop State Park and got set up in what has been our favorite RV spot to date!  It had plenty of room for our 40ft 5th wheel and truck, a lovely patio facing the woods and since it was one of their accessible spots it was all very level and paved.  Johnny had a doctor appointment to check on his eyes.  He has cataract surgery in his future -- probably January.  We had dinner with some local friends and we spent some time reorganizing and sorting out what needed to be in the RV and what we just don't use...

Sunday, fellow "gonna be"s," Jerry and Carol invited down to the New Braunfels area where they were having a family reunion.  There we also met Tom and Donna who have been on the road a few months now.  (Donna and Carol are sisters.)  We had a great time visiting and talking about future options for gategaurding, travel, etc.  

We got back to Bastrop State Park about 11pm to find it had been evacuated due to a forest fire.  The rangers let us back in to get our dog and pull the trailer out.  So about 12:30 we were hooked up and wondering where we are going now...

Right now the trailer is parked in front of the house and we're trying to figure out our new plan.  Johnny has doctors appointments here in the Austin area on the 8th, so we need to stick around until then.  Then we'll head north to Coffeyville, KS.

In the middle of this, Sage has gotten sick, so we're trying to get her back on her feet.  Hard with a 14 year old dog...  Last night was the emergency animal hospital for $200, fluids and antibiotics.  Hoping she perks up soon...

Just heard from the Texas Park Service that the camp sites at Bastrop did indeed burn, so it's good we were able to get the trailer out.   

We'll let you know where we're headed next as soon as we know!


  1. Oh my I keep seeing of the news how dreadful those wildfires are out there. I am so glad you got your rig out in time. Keep us informed!

  2. Good luck! Things in Texas are just awful...

  3. Glad you guys got you and the rig out of BSP safely. We often went to Bastrop as a "getaway" when living in the Austin area, but stayed at an RV park. The State Park was too claustrophobic for me. With few roads in and out and so heavily forested, the fire factor creeped me out. Gentle hugs to Sage for comfort and peace . . .

  4. Wow, that was a close call. It looks like Texas is one big fire right now. Hope you find somewhere good to land. Looking forward to meeting you in Coffeyville. We won't be there until the begining of November.